US NYSE stock alert
Morning Alert: Berkshire Hathaway Class B decreases 0.2%, leads Insurance sector lower 17 October 2017 11:14 EDT
NEWS BITES - NORTH AMERICA
Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE:BRK.B) has decreased 0.2% to trade at $US187.50 vs. the Insurance sector which weakened 7.3 points (or 0.3%) to 2,604.3. Representing a weighting of about 24.9% of the sector, the stock accounted for 21.7% of today's loss. Trading volume was 74% of average so far today.
SECTION 1: Technical indicators
The price decreased 0.3% in the last week.
The 0.6% discount to 12-month high of $US188.62 against the 31.7% premium to 12-month low of $US142.35 suggests the climb might be peaking.
Fundamental measures by comparison with the sector average [in brackets] indicate:
Price to Book of 1.5 [1.5]
Return on Equity 8.5% [7.8%]
Return on Assets 3.9% [1.5%]
Price/Earnings of 19.2 [13.3]
The positive 2.08 MACD (Moving Average Convergence Divergence) indicator suggests a bullish signal (12-day minus 26-day Exponential Moving Averages). Both the 12-day and the 26-day EMA are rising - another bullish signal. In the past week, the stock's MACD has been positive every day, a reinforcing bullish signal.
In the last three months the stock has hit a new 52-week high seventeen times, pointing to a significant uptrend.
The present value of USD1,000 invested one year ago is $US1,304, for a capital gain of $US304. The total return to shareholders for 1 year is 30.4%.
SECTION 2: Ranking
|Description||Value||Rank In Market|
|MCap $US billion||250.1||In Top 1%|
|Today's Volatility %||0.5||In Top Quartile|
|52-week Range (in $US)||142.3-188.6|
|1-month Range (in $US)||180.3-188.6|
SECTION 3: Earnings
FY2016 Annual Report: Berkshire Hathaway Class B Revenue up 6.0%
Berkshire Hathaway Class B (NYSE:BRK.B) reported total revenue for the year-ended 31 December 2016 of $US224b, up 6% from $US211b in the previous year.
Major changes compared with previous year:
- Total revenue up 6% from $US210.9b to $US223.6b
- Cash to Total Assets up from 12.8% to 13.9%
- EBIT Margin down from 16.6% to 15.1%
- EBIT to total assets down from 6.3% to 5.4%
- Profit before tax to Sales down from 16.6% to 15.1%
- Sales and marketing expenses to Sales up from 7.3% to 8.1%
- Debt to Equity up 9.1% from 0.3 to 0.4
- Long-term investments to Total Assets down from 33.1% to 28.7%
- Fixed Assets to Total Assets down from 26.3% to 24.6%
- Other non-current assets to Total Assets down from 6.8% to 6.1%
- Total Liabilities to EBITDA of 9.9 compares unfavourably with the Joseph Piotroski benchmark of less than 5. This ratio has deteriorated by 18.3% from the previous year's ratio of 8.4.
- Total Liabilities to Operating Cash Flow of 10.3 compares unfavourably with the Joseph Piotroski benchmark of less than 4. This ratio has deteriorated by 10.3% from the previous year's ratio of 9.3.
- Net tangible assets per share down 7.5% from $US74.53 to $US68.96
- EPS steady at $US9.76
- Total revenue to total assets steady at 0.4
- Tax expenses to Sales down from 5% to 4.1%
- Total liabilities to Total assets steady at 0.5
- Retained earnings to total assets steady at 34.1%
- Intangibles to Total Assets up from 13% to 18.2%
Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (N:BRK.B)